PuzzleMaster

Treasure Chest

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 by Gabriel | 0 comments
Labels: , ,

(Click to Enlarge)
A few weeks ago I reviewed the Tricky Gift Box, produced by Tomas Lindén, and what I liked about it was its simple idea with a tricky mechanism. The new trick box, that I'll write about today, has a similar small detail, also very clever, and "deceiving" is the best word to describe it.

Produced by Tomas Lindén as well, the Treasure Chest is the perfect example of what a trick box should be. Measuring 12 x 7.5 x 4.5cm (4.7" x 3" x 1.8"), it's large enough to store a nice treat for someone and have them open it. The goal, of course, is for you to try and discover the secret that keeps the Treasure Chest locked.

One thing that helps to recognize puzzles manufactured at Tomas Lindén's workshop anywhere, is the use of Birch wood. This characteristic gives the puzzles an absolutely gorgeous appearance, adding a pleasant sheen to the overall presentation. The puzzle also makes use of another material, but I'll keep a secret, or else you'd solve it right away. I'll just say that it's not any type of wood...

As I hinted in the first paragraph, there's a similarity in both the Treasure Chest and the Tricky Gift Box. Since I solved the Treasure Chest first, I had no idea what to expect of the internal mechanism, so it took me a bit more time to discover the trick, about 15 minutes. My reaction when I finally opened it was utter surprise. As I said, also, the puzzle is very misleading, or deceiving, leaving you to think something when actually, might be the complete opposite - That's about as much as I can tell without revealing the actual solution.

While it may be a little subjective, depending on your own experience, I still think that the Tricky Gift Box is a tad harder than the Treasure Chest. Maybe because the required movement is a little less intuitive, although it's perfectly possible to solve it right away if you're really perceptive.

(Click to Enlarge)

Closing Comments:

Another great puzzle for a bargain. You really can't go wrong with Tomas' puzzles, with plenty of value for your money. This proves that great puzzles don't need to cost a fortune in order to be appreciated. Both design and concept make the Treasure Chest a must-have for trick box fans.

Availability: You can get a copy of the Treasure Chest at Sloyd.fi for €14. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...